Anyone who loves a senior understands the importance of being informed on senior issues, and so do we. Our Milestone Magazine posts are meant to help seniors and their families as they learn and transition together through the physical and emotional changes brought on by aging.
The holidays are here and you know what that means: Christmas cookies! For seniors with arthritis pain or limited diets, making and enjoying Christmas cookies doesn’t have to be a thing of the past. Try making this Christmas cookie recipe, complete with senior-friendly modifications, with your family this year!
|1 1/8 cups||Oil|
|1 1/2 cups||Brown Sugar|
|3 1/3 cups||Flour (All-Purpose or Gluten Free)|
|3 tsp||Baking Soda|
|1 1/2 tsp||Cinnamon|
|1 1/2 tsp||Ginger|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two cookie sheets.
- Cream the oil and sugar together in a bowl.
Senior-friendly modification: Need a sugar substitute? Try date sugar. It has the added benefits of fiber, B6, and magnesium. And, it can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio in recipes that call for brown sugar. Nifty!
- Beat in eggs and add molasses.
Senior-friendly modification: Stirring, especially stiff mixtures, can be difficult for arthritis sufferers. Instead, try using a hand mixer on a very low speed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Add the egg mixture and stir until well blended.
- Roll bits of dough into 1-inch balls.
Senior-friendly modification: Those with limited manual dexterity can also use a teaspoon to form the dough into mounds before dropping them onto greased cookie sheets.
- Dip each ball in sugar and place on a cookie sheet, sugared side up, about 2 inches apart.
Senior-friendly modification: Trying to limit your sugar intake? Leave the “dip” step out. (They’ll be delicious as-is!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies have spread and tops have cracked. Let cool on wire rack, and enjoy!
Helping a senior? If care at home is not working well, it could be time for a transition to senior living. Find a Milestone community near you.